Friday, October 22, 2021

From @mmm_water ... 2021 Well Season: Daily Devotional

September 1 - October 31 is Marion Medical Mission Well Season for 2021. The season will include daily devotionals - one for each day the U.S. volunteers are overseas, sharing the love of Jesus by providing safe, clean, sustainable sources of drinking water to the extreme poor in sub-Saharan Africa. Marion Medical Mission is one of our mission partners at Grace Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas, and we STRONGLY encourage you to read these devotions to learn more about - and pray for! - their mission.

October 22, 2021

LIGHT A LAMP
Betty Samelson
Volunteer and MMM Board Member, Colorado

"No one lights a lamp and puts it under a bushel basket or under the bed; he puts it on a lampstand so that whoever comes in can see it.” Luke 8:16

Years ago, I attended a church service where the priest gave his entire sermon on this parable with a bushel basket over his head. I kept wondering when he was going to take it off, but he never did.

It made me wonder how often God waits for us to take off the bushel basket and see the light and to be the light. Particularly this past year with imposed social isolations, I’m reminded of the parable and it’s often felt like I was wearing a bushel basket over my head. I’ve missed people in my life. Volunteering, shaking hands, hugging, seeing smiles on people’s faces, but especially my yearly trek to Africa.

Because part of the light in my life is MMM. I associate light with love and I truly love my time in Africa, being totally present to all the people in the villages and the extended family I’ve met with MMM. To be the hands and do the job that Tom says God saved for us. To be a part of bringing safe drinking water so that children won’t die. When I am giving my dedication at the well, I ask the villagers to take good care of their well. If they do, their children and their children’s children will be drinking good, clean, safe water.

People always say they receive more than they give when they are volunteering because it’s true. For me, part of the goodness I receive in Africa is because I have taken the bushel basket off my head and given all that I have, letting the light in and opening my heart fully.

Application: How will I let the light and love enter into all the things that I do today?

Prayer: Dear Lord, help me be your light and hands today. To show your love in all the people I encounter today. To not be afraid to be the person I am, to not hide under the bushel basket. Amen.



Looking for Easy Ways to Help?

Follow us on social media! Liking, commenting on, and sharing our posts helps increase our exposure so that new supporters will find us! Writing a quick, 5-star review on Google or recommending us on Facebook are also great ways to share our mission!

Visit Our Website ...


No comments: