Thursday, October 21, 2021

From @mmm_water ... 2021 Well Season: Daily Devotional

September 1 - October 31 is Marion Medical Mission Well Season for 2021. The season will include daily devotionals - one for each day the U.S. volunteers are overseas, sharing the love of Jesus by providing safe, clean, sustainable sources of drinking water to the extreme poor in sub-Saharan Africa. Marion Medical Mission is one of our mission partners at Grace Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas, and we STRONGLY encourage you to read these devotions to learn more about - and pray for! - their mission.

October 21, 2021

WHERE IS MY STRENGTH
Slade Exley
Volunteer, Mississippi

"I can do all this through him who gives me strength.” Phillipians 4:13

In 2017 in the mountains near Chitipa, I had an humbling experience during a long, mountainous hike to several wells. The terrain was steep, the temperature was hot and the walk was long. After we walked over an hour to reach the first well site, my Field Officer told me the hikes to the next two wells would be much easier. That made me feel better – for the moment.

After about our third short, steep climb headed to the second well site, I became weak and faint, almost unable to walk. I asked the Field Officer for a minute to rest and take a water break. I thought to myself “Lord, I am fixin’ (a Southern term) to die here and they will never be able to get me out of this place.” I don’t see how the villagers can live in this environment. I paused for a short prayer and just asked the Lord for the strength to finish our work and hike back up the mountain to get back to the truck. I was truly humbled and I realized my only strength would have to come from the Lord. I had exhausted all my strength and energy.

After a few minutes of rest and a bottle of water, I felt we had to get moving again to finish and not get trapped in darkness since we still had a long way to go. The hikes continued to be rugged and steep at times. I just kept thinking and praying that the Lord had my back, and He did. We completed the next two wells and hiked back up the mountain to the truck.

This whole experience, which I have shared many times, taught me the necessity to rely on the Lord for strength during hard times. Whether the difficult times are physical, mental or emotional, the Lord is the source of my strength and help.

Application Question: Can you remember a time when God truly strengthened you? Will you share that story with someone who may be needing encouragement today?

Prayer: Lord, be our strength and help throughout whatever we face today. We thank you for your blessings in our lives and pray for assurance of your presence during difficult times and situations. We are honored to be your servants to fulfill the mission of providing clean water. Amen.



Looking for Easy Ways to Help?

Follow us on social media! Liking, commenting on, and sharing our posts helps increase our exposure so that new supporters will find us! Writing a quick, 5-star review on Google or recommending us on Facebook are also great ways to share our mission!

Visit Our Website ...


No comments: