Sunday, October 24, 2021

From @mmm_water ... 2021 Well Season: Daily Devotional

September 1 - October 31 is Marion Medical Mission Well Season for 2021. The season will include daily devotionals - one for each day the U.S. volunteers are overseas, sharing the love of Jesus by providing safe, clean, sustainable sources of drinking water to the extreme poor in sub-Saharan Africa. Marion Medical Mission is one of our mission partners at Grace Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas, and we STRONGLY encourage you to read these devotions to learn more about - and pray for! - their mission.

October 24, 2021

SEEING
Reverend Ed Hoke
Volunteer, Illinois

"Jesus said to her, “Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, but those who drink of the water that I will give them will never be thirsty. The water that I will give will become in them a spring of water gushing up to eternal life.” The woman said to him, “Sir, give me this water, so that I may never be thirsty or have to keep coming here to draw water.'” John 4:13-15

A friend of mine on Facebook posts incredible pictures of different things in nature and then describes them. Many are things I have probably seen myself but never stopped to really look at them. She brings our attention to some pretty incredible things. I pointed out to her that she was a walking encyclopedia. She replied that she started last year to do a better job of seeing things.

It dawned on me that that is a great part of what makes humans unique in our world, the ability to see, or hear, or feel things in a unique way. Jesus “saw” this woman coming to the well. He didn’t just see her physically, but he saw her deeper, all the way through.

I think that is something we are called to do in this pilgrim walk through life, to see, to hear, to feel what is going on around us. It is a skill that can be learned and cultivated. It is essential, in my opinion, to be empathetic and sympathetic to the needs around us. My challenge to you today is to take the time to really look, really listen, really open yourself up to what is going on around you and do so, as much as possible, as though you were Jesus. He called us to imitate him. I think this is what he means.

Application Question: What and who will I see, really see, around me today?

Prayer: Lord, open my eyes that I may see, open my ears that I may hear, open my heart that I may feel, what you are revealing every moment of every day. Amen.



Looking for Easy Ways to Help?

Follow us on social media! Liking, commenting on, and sharing our posts helps increase our exposure so that new supporters will find us! Writing a quick, 5-star review on Google or recommending us on Facebook are also great ways to share our mission!

Visit Our Website ...


No comments: