Wednesday, October 13, 2021

From @mmm_water ... 2021 Well Season: Daily Devotional

September 1 - October 31 is Marion Medical Mission Well Season for 2021. The season will include daily devotionals - one for each day the U.S. volunteers are overseas, sharing the love of Jesus by providing safe, clean, sustainable sources of drinking water to the extreme poor in sub-Saharan Africa. Marion Medical Mission is one of our mission partners at Grace Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas, and we STRONGLY encourage you to read these devotions to learn more about - and pray for! - their mission.

October 13, 2021

THE GREAT COMMANDMENT
Hugh Stempfley
Volunteer and MMM Board Member, Illinois

"The second is this, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” There is no other commandment greater than these.” Mark 12: 31

If you have ever heard Tom Logan speak, you have heard the words of Mark 12:31. The Great Commandment. Most of us have heard these words in church, in our house, probably even said them to yourself. When I was asked why we go to Africa to provide clean water when there are so many in need here at home, I relied on these words. Our neighbors extend far beyond our neighborhood, our town, our state, and our country. The people in Malawi, Tanzania, and Zambia are as much my neighbors as are the people in Marion, Illinois.

I have a sign in my front yard: “Love Your Neighbor. No exceptions.” It got me to thinking, do I really love my neighbors without exception? Do I love those who throw garbage alongside the road? Do I love someone who cuts me off in my car? Do I love the person who refused to wear a mask during the pandemic?

I realized this commandment, The Great Commandment, is the one I have broken more than any other. Even during the installation of wells, I haven’t always kept this commandment. I admit I didn’t really feel the love I should have. Even though the wells we installed were met with joy and thanksgiving, there were times when I allowed minor problems or events to affect the love I experienced. I had broken the Great Commandment but luckily Jesus forgives us even for that shortcoming

Application Question: Remember when you broke the Great Commandment. Did you love the person who cut you off in traffic? Did you feel love for the opposing player who scored the winning goal against your favorite football team? How do you reconcile those feelings with the words in the Great Commandment?

Prayer: Heavenly Father, We all fall short of your expectations. We fail to separate our feelings for the actions from our feelings for the person. Help us recognize that we are all fallible and can’t follow your commandments. You have sent your Son to save us even when we don’t really feel worthy of being saved. Thank you for your patience with us. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen



Looking for Easy Ways to Help?

Follow us on social media! Liking, commenting on, and sharing our posts helps increase our exposure so that new supporters will find us! Writing a quick, 5-star review on Google or recommending us on Facebook are also great ways to share our mission!

Visit Our Website ...


No comments: