Sunday, February 2, 2014

Mercy Trips January-February Outreach Trip: "Heartwarming Stories, Changing Attitudes"

Partnering with local healthcare workers and churches in medically underserved countries, Odessa, Texas-based Mercy Trips Healthcare Outreach provides free medical clinics and surgical care as an outreach of Christian love for our fellow man. Among them on this latest trip is Midland's own Dr. James Huston. 

"Heartwarming Stories, Changing Attitudes"


I love seeing the children and their beautiful faces. I love passing out treats for them. I enjoy the surgeries and knowing I am making a difference. I am so thankful to God for allowing me this opportunity. Coming to Africa in 2005 at the age of 20 really opened my eyes to developing nations. It reminded me to always be thankful for the blessings I have. I always wanted to return to Uganda and I m glad I was able to. I plan to come again and strive to help the people of Africa in any way I can.
- Grace

I look forward to seeing Winnie at the hospital every day. She works as a clinical officer, which is like a physician's assistant. She has only worked there for about one month and is such a dedicated and hard worker. Not only is she great at teaching and helping us out, she is very eager and willing to learn from us as well. She is such a blessing!
- Angie and Julie

I always come away with admiration for the people who are so happy and hard-working In their lives. They look forward to seeing us and we to seeing them. Everyone is worn out today, we have Sunday off tomorrow to recuperate.
- Jim

What is amazing is that these Ugandan People, in the midst of severe poverty, remain some of the happiest, contented and kind, loving and faithful devoted Christians ( and Muslims) that I have ever met. I realize they must know they are poor, however, their happiness is obviously not based on material wealth. I just wonder, if imparting the goal of first world economics is a good idea. I believe that improving water quality, infrastructure and education and health access is probably a good idea, but the idea of wealth accumulation will surely lead to conflict, struggle and induced sadness.
- Mark Van Wormer

Another day doing clinical work and was very productive. I hade privilege of giving injections and handing out medication. The children are shy at first and then open up and share their hearts of gold in no time. I thank God for giving me this opportunity and can't wait for what tomorrow holds.
- Natalie


I feel very honored tonight, one of our patients from several years ago; Mrs. Perusi, a lady that came in to our clinic with advanced breast cancer, found out that I have spoken in the church at Kanginima in the past, and asked me to come speak at her church tomorrow. I'm a little nervous about it however, instead of speaking to a familiar crowd of 200 at Kanginima, we will be at Chosen Church in Mbale with about 1000 in attendance. Guess I better go practice, or at least make some notes.
- Craig


visit Mercy Trips' Facebook page 

No comments: