Friday, February 7, 2014

Mercy Trips January-February Outreach Trip: "What Food Do You Miss from Home?"

Partnering with local healthcare workers and churches in medically underserved countries, Odessa, Texas-based Mercy Trips Healthcare Outreach provides free medical clinics and surgical care as an outreach of Christian love for our fellow man. Among them on this latest trip is Midland's own Dr. James Huston. 

"
What Food Do You Miss from Home?"



I miss REAL Mexican food & looking forward to some soon after I get back. I worked in OR today, started out with an ovarian cyst that turned into a hysterectomy- surprise to all of us. The other surgeries were no surprises.

- Jim

Today was my first time n the OR and I learned so much. My teammates were so helpful and we work well together. Also got to hand out candy to all the children in the area. Today flew by fast but was a great learning experience. Oh and I miss Ranch y'all! Yeehaw!!
- Natalie

I miss my iced tea the most, but I love not having to cook and doing dishes, so it's a good trade off. I'm proud to see Angie doing about every job their is to do in the OR.

- Julie

Today was great - I got to learn so much from our anesthetist Lameck. He taught me about medications that he uses and monitoring the patient. I even got to intubate a patient which was successful! Very excited that I had someone willing to teach me so much! As far as food that I miss... I can't think of anything. I love all the food here!
- Angie

I admit it, I rolled my eyes at Dr. Daniel (picture to follow) lol! I was teaching the surgical technologist students the "clamp, clamp, cut, tie" routine and he said "well technically it's clamp, clamp, cut, tie, tie" for those that work in the operating room I know your rolling your eyes too lol!!!!! Doctors are soooo technical lol! I miss my mothers authentic Mexican food.
- Grace

Winnie, the PA brought me a patient with chronic cough who she had worked up with TB testing, multiple antibiotics and chest x rays, etc, actually a pretty extensive workup for Uganda, but the lady was just not getting better. She had a pretty loud heart murmur and and a pulsatile chest. I used the good old Chinese ultrasound machine to diagnose an aortic stenosis and aortic valve leakage as the cause of her chronic cough. She will be referred to a cardiologist in Kampala for further care. We can actually do a lot of medicine at Kanginima Hospital! I miss green chili everything from Northeastern New Mexico!
- Mark Van Wormer

I so enjoy sitting around a table with a small team waiting for dinner, laughing, joking, talking about the day. It's a lot like a family dinner time, and a small enough group to participate in every conversation. I must echo Mexican Food as the food I miss the most.


visit Mercy Trips' Facebook page 

No comments: