Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Invitation to Prayer

Faces of Children is an ecumenical prayer ministry under the auspices of First Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas. Our mission is to initiate ministries of prayer for children in churches, communities, and neighborhoods. In doing so, we seek to provide an opportunity for people of God to join together, learn about children and their needs throughout the world, and celebrate Christ's love (especially as it relates to children).

Open Your Hands

"How do I open my closed hands? Certainly not by violence. Not by a compulsive decision. Perhaps you can find a way to prayer in the words of the angel to the frightened shepherds…. Don’t be afraid of him who wants to enter that space where you live, or to let him see what you are clinging to so anxiously. Don’t be afraid to show the clammy coin which will buy so little anyway. Don’t be afraid to offer your hate, bitterness, disappointment to him who reveals himself as love. Even if you have little to show, don’t be afraid to let it be seen. You keep catching yourself wanting to deceive the other by putting on a semblance of beauty, by holding back everything dirty and spoiled, by clearing a little path that looks very proper. But that is compulsive, forced and artificial."


With Open Hands
by Henri J.M. Nowen

Then I turned to see whose voice it was that spoke to me, and on turning I saw seven golden lampstands, and in the midst of the lampstands I saw one like the Son of Man, clothed with a long robe and with a golden sash across his chest. When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he placed his right hand on me, saying, “Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last, and the living one. I was dead, and see, I am alive forever and ever; and I have the keys of Death and of Hades.


Revelation 1:12-13, 17-18 (NRSV)

"God of openness and truth, when I make a clenched hand, let me see it as a symbol of violence and anger. Make my hands open as promises of friendship and love. Open my heart as well so that it is transparent and honest. Let me reveal myself in love and let me no longer rely on the pretense of perfection. Instead, let my sins reveal my humanity. Amen."

Lent and Easter Wisdom from Henri J.M. Nouwen
by Judi Bauer

A message from Chris Laufer, Coordinator, Faces of Children

Greetings, Faces of Children Prayer Partner,

I hope you will be able to join the Midland Faces of Children prayer group as we pray together for children on Wednesday, March 20, 2013 at 11:30 a.m. in the Bride’s room at First Presbyterian Church-Midland, with lunch ($5) and fellowship to follow.

Thank you for your continued prayers for the children of our local and global communities. If you have prayer requests or celebrations about children, those who care for them, those who have authority over them, or even for those who harm them, please send those requests to me at claufer@facesofchildren.net, or give me a call.

May the peace of Christ be with you,

Chris

No comments: