Sunday, March 17, 2013

Lenten Devotional for Sunday, March 17

SPECIAL NOTE: Dr. Jim Denison will be in the Tall City for AWAKE 7:14, March 24-27, 7:00 - 8:30 pm at Midland Center
 CLICK HERE for more information


Dr. Jim Denison's 2013 collection of Lenten devotionals is entitled, "If My People..." and comes at a time that he believes "a Fifth Great Awakening is sweeping the nations, as more people are coming to Christ than ever before in Christian history. How can you join this great movement of God's Spirit?" He goes on to write, "in this year's Lenten devotional guide, we will walk each day with King Solomon as he leads his nation into God's presence and glory. We will commit ourselves to our Father's purpose and experience his transforming power. And we will claim his promise: 'If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land' (2 Chronicles 7:14). 'If My People ...' is more than a Lenten guide - it is God's invitation to intimacy with him. Please join us on this joyous journey."

CLICK HERE for a free copy of Dr. Denison's 2013 Lenten Devotional (in a downloadable/printable Adobe .pdf file)


Sunday, March 17
How close are you to Jesus?

St. Patrick was born around A.D. 389 in England. At the age of 16, he was kidnapped and sold as a slave in Ireland. Six years later he escaped and returned home, but became burdened for the spiritual condition of the Irish. He eventually returned to their land as a missionary, where he established more than 200 churches and led more than 100,000 to faith in Christ. His death on March 17, 461 is remembered each year as St. Patrick's Day.

Our Scripture continues: "If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face ..." "Face" translates the Hebrew paniym, which denotes the personal presence of God. To seek God's "face" is to seek an intimate, personal, passionate relationship with our Father.

In seeking God's face, consider this prayer of St. Patrick:

I arise today through God's strength to pilot me: God's might to uphold me, God's wisdom to guide me, God's eye to look before me, God's ear to hear me, God's word to speak for me, God's hand to guard me. Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ on my right, Christ on my left, Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down, Christ when I arise. Christ in the heart of everyone one who thinks of me, Christ in the mouth of every one who speaks of me, Christ in every eye that sees me, Christ in every ear that hears me. I arise today through mighty strength.

Amen?



Prior to founding the Denison Forum on Truth and Culture, James C. Denison, Ph.D., was pastor of Park Cities Baptist Church, a 10,000-member congregation in Dallas, Texas. He also pastored churches in Midland and Mansfield, Texas, and in Atlanta, Georgia. He earned his Ph.D. in Philosophy of Religion and Master of Divinity from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, and received a Doctor of Divinity degree from Dallas Baptist University. He is also the the author of seven books.

No comments: