Saturday, December 28, 2013

Getting Ready: A Penny for Your Thoughts ... and Prayers

From January 4 through January 11, 2014, a team  from 1st Presbyterian Church-Midland will be traveling to the Central American country of Belize, and working with The Word at Work ministry. This will be an opportunity to reach out and share the gospel with the people of Belize while working side-by-side with the local community and The Word at Work staff on a much-needed construction project.


A Penny for Your Thoughts ... And Prayers

As I said before, all kinds of preparations over the last couple of months for the FPC-Midland Belize Mission Team, getting everything ready for our mission trip ... especially getting OURSELVES ready, in heart in mind, for what we know lies ahead ... and for what we don't know lies ahead.

At one of our first team meetings, Pastor Walter Thompson provided us with a small Belizean coin ... it's a penny, the smallest token of currency in that nation. It's made of aluminum and the front of the coin has a crowned effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second. Diameter: 19.51mm (0.7681”) Weight: 0.79g Alloy: Aluminum Edge: Plain Shape: 12 Scallops. At the current exchange rate for currency, it would be worth half-a-penny in the United States.


The coin's real value is it's function as a reminder to devote time each day to contemplation and prayer to our mission, our destination, to those who will be a part of our team, to those supporting our team in so many different ways and to those we have not yet met in the course of our mission and our preparations for that mission.



I've attached my coin to my cell phone holder, so it will also be close-to-hand and close-to-mind. I may head out the door in the morning without my wallet or my keys ... but not my phone! Hard to believe that a few years ago, I scoffed at those who absolutely had to be in touch every minute ... and now, here I am with my own, attached to me like a new appendage, keeping ME in touch every minute!

Besides, a couple years back I made the move to a 'smart phone' ... a LOT smarter than me in some ways, and it's helped me out more than once. Adding the coin to the cell phone's holder now allows it to help me in an additional way.




GOT QUESTIONS?
Is there something you'd like to ask any of our mission team members, or our pastor?

No comments: