Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Invitation to Prayer from Faces of Children ... TODAY

Faces of Children is an ecumenical prayer ministry under the auspices of First Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas. Their mission is to initiate ministries of prayer for children in churches, communities, and neighborhoods. In doing so, they seek to provide an opportunity for people of God to join together, learn about children and their needs throughout the world, and celebrate Christ's love (especially as it relates to children).


Invitation to Prayer ... TODAY

Dear Intercessors,

We will meet locally every Wednesday - TODAY - at 11:30 in the prayer closet at First Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas. Please join us in lifting up the needs of vulnerable children in our community and around the world!

Sincerely,

Carrie McKean



October Faces of Children Digest

In a couple weeks, my family is moving.

We aren't going far - just to another house in town... a bit more room for our growing family. Make no mistake -- this was mostly a decision pushed forward by me. I've wanted a spare bedroom for guests; room to gather more than one family around our table... Just a bit more space so we aren't always so on top of each other. But now that we're in the middle of cleaning out closets and packing up boxes, I find myself asking lots of questions. Is it necessary? Is it worth it? Am I ungrateful for what I have? How will we get all the boxes packed and stuff moved while the rest of our lives must carry on? The questions keep me up at night and wake me with a knot of anxiety in my stomach.

My children won't have to change schools or really experience any other significant upheaval, other than the location of the bedroom, but I find myself growing more overwhelmed by the anxiety we've introduced into all of our lives as I contemplate all that needs to happen in the next couple of weeks. I worry about their adjustment and happiness... about my husband's and my own... heck, I've even worried about the dog!

And in the midst of my planning and fretting and box packing, I see this picture of a Syrian Kurdish mother fleeing her home -- fleeing the Turkish airstrikes -- with only her children in her arms. No time to pack boxes. No time to prepare the children for the upcoming move. No expectations that what's ahead might end up being good after all.

Getty Images
It puts my own move in perspective. At my core, I don't believe I'm really that different from this mother. She's really not that different from me. We both want to hear our babies laugh more often than cry. We both want them to grow up healthy and strong. If moving for relatively good and happy reasons is stressful and overwhelming to me, surely moving for her under these circumstances must feel like running up Mt. Everest. I'm carrying her picture close to my heart this month, and anytime I feel stressed by the impending change in my own life circumstances that's coming up, I want to turn that anxiety into energy for prayer. And I'd like to invite you to join me.

For the remainder of October, will you join me in praying for families who are fleeing?

Week Three: Pray for the Helpers

One of our ministry partners shared this video recently. Its a sobering look at the reality they are facing right now and communicates better than any words the need for prayer at this time.


Syria Crisis from Partners Relief & Development

Blessings,

Carrie

Carrie J. McKean
Faces of Children Director
First Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas
(432) 684-7821 x153

No comments: