Monday, January 27, 2014

Invitation to Prayer: Wednesday

Faces of Children is an ecumenical prayer ministry under the auspices of First Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas. Our mission is to initiate ministries of prayer for children in churches, communities, and neighborhoods. In doing so, we seek to provide an opportunity for people of God to join together, learn about children and their needs throughout the world, and celebrate Christ's love (especially as it relates to children).

Prayer for School Children


“Seeing the kids on their way to school always makes me smile, Lord.
It makes me remember my own days in school,
and the mixed feelings of being a child and ‘growing up’ all at once.

Please give each of them good friends to share their school days,
teachers who can inspire them to keep growing toward a future they cannot yet see,
and a passion for discovering new things and learning new skills.”


A Little Treasury of Prayers by Walter C. Sutton

A message from Chris Laufer, Coordinator, Faces of Children

Greetings, Faces of Children Prayer Partner,

The prayer above, from Walter Sutton’s A Little Treasury of Prayers, reminds me that we can pray for children wherever or whenever we encounter them. During my commute to and from work, it’s possible for me to pass through five school zones, depending upon the route I take or the time of day. I’ve fallen out of the habit of praying for the children, teachers, staff, and volunteers at these schools by which I pass, but reading Sutton’s prayer encourages me to take that practice up once again.

Where or when do you encounter children? At home, your work place, church, or the grocery store? In the media…newspapers, television, or internet? As you drive past playgrounds or sports fields? Will you join me (if you aren’t doing this already) in lifting in prayer the children we come across, whether it’s a face-to-face or indirect encounter…will you join me in praying for them? And if you’re already praying for them in this way, thank you, thank you, thank you!

The Midland Faces of Children prayer group will meet this coming Wednesday, January 29, 2014, at 11:30 a.m. in Room 217 at First Presbyterian Church-Midland, as we lift in prayer the children of our hearts and communities. Please join us for prayer and, afterwards, for lunch ($5) and fellowship. I hope you will be able to join us.

The church is starting an 18-month-long renovation project and we won't have access to the Bride's Room during that time, so we will be meeting in Room 217. We’ll still have lunch available to us even after the move.


If you have prayer concerns or celebrations about children, those who care for them, those who have authority over them, or those who harm them (the really hard prayers to say sometimes), please send them to me at at claufer@facesofchildren.net, or give me a call.

Grace and peace,

Chris

No comments: