Thursday, January 30, 2014

Mercy Trips January-February Outreach Trip: "First Impressions and/or Other Comments"

Partnering with local healthcare workers and churches in medically underserved countries, Odessa, Texas-based Mercy Trips Healthcare Outreach provides free medical clinics and surgical care as an outreach of Christian love for our fellow man. Among them on this latest trip is Midland's own Dr. James Huston. 

"First Impressions and/or Other Comments"

The team had a busy day today. We set up the OR, readied the meds for clinic, toured the hospital and grounds for the first timers, saw many pre-op and other patients, and attempted to rescue a sick newborn (more on that later from Angie) it was a good day overall, and the team is working together very well.

Even though I've been away from Uganda for 9 years the memories came flooding back. Seeing familiar faces was the best. I am so eager to start operating tomorrow. The hospital and even the hotel has changed so much. It's really amazing to see. The people of Africa definitely have a piece of my heart.
Gracie

Today was our first day on the field assisting patients. Not only did I have the privilege of counting pills I also made a few new friends. Holding babies overflows my heart with joy. Having kids run after our van screaming Jambo (hello) makes me happy. Seeing adults smile from ear to ear makes me feel warm. I am so honored to be here and thank God for this opportunity!!!
I am BLESSED,
Natalie

I was really happy to be back in Kanginima again. This is my fourth mission trip. I so much enjoy the group comradere effort pulling together to accomplish the common goal of providing third world health care.
Mark Van Wormer MD

This is my first missions trip and lucky to spend it with my daughter, Angie. I'm so proud to see her take bold steps in her practice with the patients at the hospital. My most interesting thing I saw today was seeing a rooster walking through the ward....that was a first for me.
Julie

This is my second time to return to Kanginima hospital. I started the day today by arranging supplies in the OR. I took a break and went to the ward and saw a newborn infant in a room being held by her mother wrapped in multiple blankets. I knew instantly by the weak grunting cry that the infant was very sick. I picked her up and felt her body burn with a fever. When I learned that the infant was born last night, had not had the strength to take in any milk, and had gotten an infection from the mother during delivery, I knew the child needed treatment immediately. I went to Dr. Craig and Dr. Mark to ask them for help on what to do to care for the child. With limited resource, we started what we could for the infant. We started her on scheduled antibiotics, IV fluids with dextrose added (sugar for the body since she had nothing to eat), put her on oxygen from the one machine that the hospital owns, and some tylenol to help her tiny body fight the fever. Through out the day I was in and out of the room taking care of the infant, and toward the end of the day her condition had seemed to improve quite a bit. As we were leaving for the day and giving the nurses instructions on what to do to care for the infant for the night, the child suddenly went limp and stopped breathing. My mom and I tried stimulating the infant to breathe, but without success. I wish I could say that there was a happy ending to the day because it was heartbreaking to have the child die after so much effort that was put into trying to save her life. Though it was sad, especially for mother and family, and looks so hopeless, there is good news through it all. That good news is that there is a God who is my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He knows and loves each and every life, and He is in control of everything that happens. Even when we might not understand why he allows certain things to happen, He sees the whole picture and we can put our trust in Him. He has saved us all from sin and death by His life He gave us on the cross. No matter what happens in life, we can have hope in Him who saved us. I thank God that because of that I can see the precious little infant in Heaven one day without sickness or pain.
Angie


visit Mercy Trips' Facebook page 

No comments: