Friday, January 31, 2014

Mercy Trips January-February Outreach Trip: "Experiences from First Patient Day"

Partnering with local healthcare workers and churches in medically underserved countries, Odessa, Texas-based Mercy Trips Healthcare Outreach provides free medical clinics and surgical care as an outreach of Christian love for our fellow man. Among them on this latest trip is Midland's own Dr. James Huston. 

"Experiences from First Patient Day"

 
It felt good finally getting my "hands dirty" and start operating. We performed 4 surgeries today. They all went great and I know our qpatients are going to feel better. They are so thankful and appreciative. Their thankfulness makes the long hard work day worth it. Im so thankful to God for allowing me to be here and help the people of Uganda.
Grace

We saw over 2200 people today with the common problems but also some cardiac problems that you wouldn't expect. Also, there was 5people involved in a boda-boda accident that had major injuries. Hopefully they got to the hospital in Mbale for care. We are all out again tomorrow for the 2nd day and everyone is healthy.
Jim

It was interesting being involved in the Uganda OR. Our team is great and work so well as a team. I pray we are a blessing to all we serve. I thank God for all.
Julie

Today we had our first day sending patients to the Physician. I can't believe we cared for so many people. We had an extremely long line of people and I was honored to help each and everyone. Later we handed out mosquito nets and candy to the children. I got to hold the cutest baby that adored me. I wish I could of taken him home with me and care for him forever! Can't wait to see what tomorrow holds!
Natalie

It was great being in the OR today! It was fun teaching my mom how we do surgery and care for patients "Uganda style." It's definitely different than how things are in the U.S.! Each one of them are so grateful for the treatment they receive. It is such a blessing that God has allowed me to be a part of His work He is doing here!
Angie

Went out to see a "couple of patients" after the first case today, and got "hammered" they just kept bringing patients back before I finished the chart on the one I just had seen, not allowing me to say "last one". I finally got rescued by Godfrey, who came out to get me for the next case, the patient was "prepped and draped" already - walked in, scrubbed and started - felt just like Dr. DeBakey. Anyway, had the six day surgery schedule filled in by noon.
Craig


visit Mercy Trips' Facebook page 

No comments: